With MYFamily Protection, you can monitor and/or block calls and SMS text messages with MYFamily Protection on the Android mobile phones associated with your account. However, it is not possible to read the content of private messages received or sent. MYFamily Protection only offers the option to know when text messages/SMS were sent or received and to whom, as well as the ability to block all incoming messages.
How to activate call and text message monitoring and/or blocking
Once you install MYFamily Protection on an Android device, call and SMS text message monitoring is turned on by default. To make sure you have monitoring enabled and working properly, visit Google Play from your child’s device and make sure you have the latest version of MYFamily Protection.
To activate call and SMS text message monitoring on a new Android phone, you must first download and install MYFamily Protection from Google Play on your child’s phone. When you first install MYFamily Protection on Android you’ll be prompted with instructions to login and associate the phone with your MYFamily Protection account.
You can then simply visit your Family Portal and go into your child’s tab and choose Rules > Calls and SMS. If you set “Enable Calls and SMS Text Message Monitoring” to YES, MYFamily Protection will start monitoring calls and text messages. Also, Blocking Rules will appear as shown below and you will have the option to block all incoming calls, all outgoing calls, all incoming text messages or set a specific rule for an individual phone number.
How can I view the calls and SMS text messages?
Calls and messaging details will appear in the Activity Timeline and Social Activity tabs. If no calls or text messages have been sent or received, you won’t see any updates in the activity timeline or social activity tabs. Blocked calls and messages will also appear in the activity timeline.
What happens on the phone when I set blocking rules?
- Incoming Calls & SMS: There is no notification to the user when a blocked incoming call or SMS is received. The SMS or call is intercepted by MYFamily Protection and any notifications about the call or SMS will be deleted. However it is important to note that the caller may still be able to leave a voice message. Information about the call or SMS will be reported on the Activity Timeline.
- Outgoing SMS: Outgoing SMS messages cannot be restricted at this time, the only way to restrict outgoing SMS messages is to block the SMS app completely in “Application Rules.” Information about the SMS will be reported on the Activity Timeline.
- Outgoing calls: When a user tries to make an outgoing call they will see a block screen letting them know that calls have been restricted, as shown below. Information about the call will be reported on the Activity Timeline.
- Emergency services numbers (ex: 911 in the U.S., 112 in Europe) will not be blocked by MYFamily Protection.
- In the case of a Panic Alert, your trusted contacts will still be sent alerts even if the contact is blocked.
How to deactivate calls and SMS text message monitoring and/or blocking
To deactivate this option, you can simply visit your Family Portal and then go into your child’s tab and choose Rules > Calls and SMS. Turn off the switch that enables calls and SMS text message monitoring.
If you don’t see your child’s mobile phone in the list of Monitored Android devices, please double check the following:
- You have downloaded and installed the latest version of MYFamily Protection from the Google Play Store.
- To do so, please follow the download instructions in the How to install section
- You have correctly associated the child’s profile in MYFamily Protection with the phone in Settings > Devices > Edit device options.
- If you want to add a new child to your MYFamily Protection account, please find how to do so in the Account & Settings section.
The device is running the latest version of the Android. For most devices, you can update the operating system to the latest version in Settings > About Phone/Device > Software Update > Update. If you’re not sure how to do that, or can’t find this option, please refer to your mobile device user’s guide.