This article tells you how to download and install MYFamily Protection for Windows or Mac. It is easy to setup, and once installed, MYFamily Protection's simple, web-based dashboard gives you the info you need at a glance. You can then set time limits, block questionable sites, and keep your kids safe.
- MYFamily Protection is compatible with Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 10, and Mac 10.6 onwards. However, it is not compatible with Windows for Phones and Tablets, or Linux.
- You should install MYFamily Protection on the computer you want to monitor and protect. It is not necessary to install MYFamily Protection on your own computer if your kids don't use it.
- Once MYFamily Protection is installed on a computer, it starts sending information to your Family Portal. You can control all of MYFamily Protection's settings and rules, and monitor your children's use of their computer in the Portal. Everything is controlled directly there. There is no setting or interface on the computer itself.
- Downloading and installing MYFamily Protection takes about ten minutes. You can then follow the same process to install MYFamily Protection on each computer you want to protect, or install or any other device, making sure to always use your MYFamily Protection account credentials (user name and password).
Before you start
Before installing MYFamily Protection on a computer, it is important to:
- Make sure to install the latest updates of your Operating System and Web Browser.
- Restart the computer.
- Log into the computer with an administrator account.
- Make sure the device is connected to the Internet.
- If there is any security software installed on the computer (e.g., antivirus, firewall, other parental control), deactivate it.
Install MYFamily Protection for Windows or Mac
1. Log in to the Family Portal with the device you want to monitor, click the “Add a device” tab and select “Install on this device” and choose operating system of the device you are using to start the download.
2. Once downloaded, double click the MYFamily Protection installer.
3. Choose language and click Install. Wait a few minutes while the software downloads and installs.
4. Log in with your account details for MYFamily Protection
5. Enter the name you wish to use for the PC and choose whether to hide MYFamily Protection on the computer. Click Next.
Note: It is better to choose a name for the PC that refers to some visible feature, such as the manufacturer or model, to make it easy to identify different PCs. Also, if you choose not to hide MYFamily Protection, a blue Q icon will appear in the system tray. If you do hide it, the user is still likely to see screens from MYFamily Protection when, for instance, web content is blocked, but the MYFamily Protection application will be hidden from the list of Applications.
6. Choose the child's user account from the pull-down menu. Click Next.
Note: To add a new user account for your child on the computer, click the button Add New Computer Account. This will create a new user on the computer, that will appear on the Welcome screen and the Start menu. If you don't create a separate account for your child, you won’t be able to individually track that child’s activities nor control the child’s usage. Also, if all users on a computer share the same account, all users will be subject to MYFamily Protection monitoring and controls.
7. That's all, MYFamily Protection has been successfully installed on the computer. Now if you want to make any changes, you can simply visit your Family Portal and go to Settings > Devices > Edit device options. There you will find user accounts on the computer and see which child profile in MYFamily Protection is protecting which user on the computer.